There are many areas where Canadians are doing great, and the eCommerce industry is one of them. Canada has one of the fastest-growing eCommerce marketplaces globally and is home to some of the top Shopify stores.
Shopify has already empowered millions of eCommerce business owners to find their unique space in this intensely competitive digital world.
These days, to set up one of those top online retail stores, not only you should have an innovative idea, but you will also require a solid platform and tools for a seamless process. This is where Shopify comes in and gets you everything you need to succeed.
In Canada, the number of Shopify stores is ever-increasing. According to a Store Leads report, there are 113,219 Shopify stores in Canada as of October 2022. It is an impressive number, and you must be curious to learn what these stores offer to the market.
Let’s check out the top 10 Canadian Shopify stores and the shipping strategies they implement.
Some Crucial Statistics on Shopify Stores in Canada
The quarter-to-quarter growth of Shopify stores has been rapid over the past few years, and that trend continues in most countries, including Canada:
- The number of Shopify stores in Canada increased by 12.1 percent in 2022 Q3 (Q/Q).
- The number of Shopify stores in Canada increased by 35 percent in 2022 Q3 (Y/Y).
Top Shopify stores in Canada in different categories:
- 24 percent of Canadian Shopify stores sell Apparel items.
- 13 percent of Canadian Shopify stores sell Home & Garden products.
- 10 percent of Canadian Shopify stores sell Beauty & Fitness products.
Top Categories of Shopify Stores in Canada (Source: storeleads.app)
Top Shopify Stores in Canada and which Shipping Strategy they Implement
Established in 1991 and based in Ontario, Staples Canada runs on Shopify Plus and has a network comprising more than 300 stores across Canada.
Staples Canada offers a wide range of office supplies for businesses and schools. The company fulfills the requirements of entrepreneurs, students, teachers, and parents.
The company website gets more than 400,000 monthly visitors and generates revenues between $250 and $500 million.
Over the years, students and teachers have relied on Staples for the most lucrative Back to School deals and supplies to expedite and organize their teaching or learning process.
Shipping Services by Staples
Staples Canada delivers to addresses within Canada only. Customers can only add a Canadian phone number to the order, or they might get canceled.
The company ships orders by collaborating with various shipping partners, such as FedEx, DHL, and Purolator.
- Deliveries schedules are from Monday to Friday, 7 am – 8 pm for residential and 9 am – 5 pm for business addresses. It is not possible to specify the exact time of deliveries.
- Carriers make three delivery attempts. After that, the order returns to the warehouse, and the company issues a full refund within 5 business days.
- During holidays, deliveries might delay. The company observes several federal and provincial holidays in Canada.
Cost of Delivery
- The company offers free delivery within local areas on orders over $35. Orders below $35 have a shipping fee of $5.99. Orders outside the local trade areas that take longer to deliver might have a separate delivery charge according to the package weight and distance.
- After the order ships, customers receive a shipping confirmation email.
- Once the order is ready to ship, the customer receives a tracking number via email. The tracking information and the order status are also available on www.staples.ca by clicking on “My Orders” from My Account.
ecobee was founded in 2007 with an aim to offer smart home solutions to enable people and the planet to save energy.
The company has made consistent progress in the last decade and still looking to achieve more toward its future goals of making the world greener. ecobee’s smart products bring the company total annual revenue of $550 million.
Since 2018, the Income Qualified (IQ) program of ecobee has distributed more than 20,000 smart thermostats to provide comfort at home.
Shipping Services by ecobee
- ecobee offers free shipping and free returns.
- The retailer ships within Canada and to the United States using FedEx.
- ecobee does not offer cross-border shipments. Orders placed in Canada ship within Canada only.
- The company does not offer international shipping. When customers outside of Canada place an order, it goes to a third-party shipper. Upon arrival, the order will be chargeable Customs fees.
- Once customers place an order on ecobee.com, they will receive a tracking number within 24 hours that they can use to track their order status.
Cupshe is a leading beachwear retail brand in Canada. Founded in 2015, the company takes its inspiration and creates products for vibrant, fun, and fearless women.
Over the years, the company has built a vast and active community of women who style in confidence and comfort. In 2021, Cupshe recorded total revenue of nearly $250 million.
From swimsuits, and cover-ups to tops, Cupshe crafts every piece of clothing using unique textures, patterns, and quality fabrics that help women transition from beach to brunch effortlessly.
The company has outlined its mission to empower women everywhere and make them appear and feel great in stylish, high-quality, and affordable swimwear.
Shipping Services by Cupshe
Besides Canada, Cupshe ships items to the US, Australia, New Zealand, European Countries, and the rest of the world. The following are the shipping services the company uses for Canada:
Expedited Shipping (9-11 Business Days)
Express Shipping (4-6 Business Days)
Note: Cupshe only delivers an order to PO Boxes for expedited shipping.
Canadian Tire Corporation is one of the oldest companies in Canada, which began its operations in 1922. Over the past decades, the company has become one of the leading retail companies in the country and generates revenue between $100 and $250 million.
The company has retail stores in 1,700 locations, which provide financial and eCommerce services to Canadians with the help of its 58,000-strong workforce.
Canadian Tire Corp. offers products in various segments for people from all walks of life, from sports, outdoors, automobiles, home & Pets, and tools to recreation.
Shipping Services by Canadian Tire Corporation
The company delivers ordered items in three different ways:
- Pickup at a Store: Customers can order online, pay in advance, and pick up the item from the store. The entire process typically takes around 24 hours.
- Curbside Pickup: Customers order online and go to the selected store to pick them. The company delivers heavy or oversized items within 100km of the selected Canadian Tire store.
- Ship to Home: The company delivers orders to home for a shipping fee starting from $6.99. It usually takes 1-2 business days.
Founders Tyler and Braden Handley started Inkbox in 2015 when they were in their 20s while experimenting in their tiny apartment.
Based in the heart of downtown Toronto, Inkbox has been producing semi-permanent tattoos and tattoo markers that are creating waves in Canada.
The company has come a long way since the days of kitchen R&D. However, the most rewarding part of its journey has been building a community that trusts Inkbox through its self-expression. It reflects in the results. In 2021, Inkbox recorded net sales of $27 million.
With more than 10,000 artist-made designs, the freehand tattoo marker and custom platform have inked millions of people from 190 countries.
The company is constantly working on finding innovative ways to empower the ever-changing story of the people it connects with.
Shipping Services by Inkbox
Inkbox ships to all addresses within Canada. It also ships to the United States and most international destinations.
- Canadian orders: Inkbox ships orders within Canada using Canada Post or FedEx.
- US orders: Orders are shipped to the United States FedEx or USPS.
- International orders: Shipping to international destinations depends on the country via FedEx, Asendia, and Passport.
The Brick began its operations in 1971 with just one furniture store in downtown Edmonton, Alberta. And after 51 years, customers can shop with the Brick throughout the country.
The company serves Canadians by operating through more than 209 stores and seven distribution centers.
The Brick has maintained its same customer-centric and charitable way of doing business for over five decades which the company believes is the key to its success.
Shipping Services by the Brick
- Delivery by Room of Choice: Shippers deliver orders and carry them to the room of their choice. Customers need to contact their local Brick store if this service is available in their area.
- Contactless or Threshold Delivery: The delivery team delivers orders to the exterior of their home at the front door, threshold, porch, or garage. The delivery personnel will take snaps and communicate with customers over the telephone or text if required.
- Customers need to sign when receiving their order.
Knix was established in 2013 with the mission to redefine women’s innerwear. Knix and its brand for teenagers Kt by Knix offer a wide range of intimate apparel and lead the Canadian marketplace in the leak-proof apparel category.
Besides Canada, the company also has a strong presence in the US and primarily sells its products through direct-to-consumer online channels, supported by six Knix retail stores. In 2021, the company reported net sales of CAD 133.6m and a sales growth rate of 97 percent!
Recently, Hygiene and health company Essity acquired 80 percent stakes in Knix with a purchase price of $320 million.
Shipping Services by Knix
Orders within Canada ship via Canada Post or Purolator depending on the customer’s address and carrier availability. Shipping is free on orders over CAD95.
Orders within the US will ship via DHL and USPS or FedEx.
International orders will ship via DHL, Canada Post International, or FedEx.
Altitude Sports has grown from a small boutique on rue Saint-Denis in 1984 to the go-to company for people seeking to buy stylish and comfortable sports apparel.
The company offers a wide range of quality and stylish apparel for men, women, and youth, from T-shirts, jackets, footwear, tops swimwear, and more. The annual revenue of Altitude Sports is between $50 million and $100 million.
The products the company sells are high-quality and durable. Whether you go for a hike in the mountains or love running, you will have a great experience wearing their impeccably designed apparel and accessories.
Shipping Services by Altitude Sports
- Standard shipping within Canada is free on orders over $49.
- Once customers place an order, they will receive a tracking number via email.
- For deliveries within Canada, Altitude Sports provides guaranteed delivery dates. The company reimburses shipping fees for late deliveries.
- Same-Day Delivery is available in Canadian cities, such as Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, and Quebec.
- Shipping to the United States is free on orders over $200. The company also ships orders to EU countries.
Founded in 2008, Pela Case specializes in the online retailing of products related to consumer electronics, technology, and computing.
Pela Case stands apart from other businesses by moving away from cheap, polluting plastics and producing the world’s first compostable phone cases. The annual revenue is between $25 million and $50 million.
The manufacturing process of Pela cases uses 34 percent less water and emits 30 percent less carbon. The company provides a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee.
Shipping Services by Pela
Pela Case offers free shipping within Canada for orders of $25, which will take 14-21 business days.
Besides, standard shipping is free for orders to the US over $20, the UK over £20, and the EU over €20.
Fragrance Buy is the largest and most trusted Canadian fragrance product eCommerce store. The online division of this retail store started its operation in 2013.
Fragrance Buy offers attractive discounts on authentic designer and niche perfumes and colognes. In 2021, the company recorded net sales of $45.5 million.
Customers can shop even luxury fragrances at the lowest wholesale price from this store. Fragrance Buy provides a memorable customer experience with the best variety and attractive deals.
Shipping Services by Fragrance Buy
Fragrance Buy has partnerships with FedEx, UPS, and Canada Post to provide its customers with the best online shopping and shipping experience.
The company gives customers choices between their preferred carriers at the checkout page. Accordingly, carriers schedule a delivery time and costs for shipping.
- Top Canadian Apparel Companies And Their Shipping Strategies - July 3, 2023
- Ultimate Guide To Shipping With Canada Post in 2023 - May 22, 2023
- Top 5 Questions For ChatGPT About Canadian Logistics Answered - April 11, 2023